This Cheat Day Toast is full of so much flavor! The veggies become caramelized, it has thick applewood smoked bacon, a kick of spice, fresh herbs, and the goat cheese gives it the perfect amount of acidity.
I love using a sourdough loaf because it allows me to cut thick pieces of bread. This Cheat Day Toast can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner. If you want to wow someone, I promise you, this toast will not fail!
Cheat Day Toast
- 2 Medium pans
- Sharp knife
- 3 pieces Applewood smoked bacon
- ¼ cup shallots (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves
- ½ cup fennel bulb (chopped)
- 3.5 oz. Shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 thyme sprigs
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- 2 slices sour dough bread
- 4 tbsp Chevre cheese (goat cheese)
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sunny side up egg (optional)
- fennel fronds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sear the slices of bacon in a pan until cooked, place them on a paper towel and set aside.
- Pour out the bacon fat and wipe the pan clean using a paper towel. Drizzle the pan with olive oil and place the burner on medium low. Add the shallots, fennel, salt, pepper, chili flakes, and sauté until fragrant. Then add the chopped garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Sear the Shiitake mushrooms in a separate pan.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces.
- Add the seared shiitake mushrooms and bacon to the pan with shallots, garlic, and fennel. Add fresh thyme, and sir.
- Cut your sourdough loaf into 1 inch pieces, and toast in a buttered pan.
- Cook the sunny side up egg (optional).