WeHo French Toast is an ode to the French toast at Lola’s in West Hollywood on Fairfax. The restaurant is no longer there but their Grand Marnier French Toast was so delicious that I decided to recreate it with a LVM twist.
Most of us know how to make French Toast, but it’s time we elevate it using fresh ingredients such as citrus zest, and aromatic liqueur, and quality bread such as a croissant loaf, brioche, or challah.
The brown butter adds a nutty element to the French toast and the crème fraiche is buttery and savory. This recipe is truly one of my favorites. Each bite is an experience. This can be served for breakfast, brunch, or breakfast for dinner.
WeHo French Toast
- Medium pan
- Microplane grater
- 1 croissant, brioche, challah loaf (I used a croissant loaf)
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Grand Marnier
- 3 tbsp brown butter
- 1 orange
- crème Fraiche
- fresh berries
- fresh mint
- warm maple syrup
- Make the brown butter in a medium sized pan, then set aside to cool.
- Pour the half and half into a shallow squared container (glass or plastic). Whisk eggs separately to avoid making a mess, then add it to the half and half. Pour in the Grand Marnier, add the cinnamon and orange zest. Whisk to combine all the ingredients.
- Heat your pan to medium low and add a tbsp of butter. Once the butter is melted, quickly dip each side of the bread into the custard, then place in the pan. Cook on each side for 2 to 4 mins or until golden brown.
- Place the French toast on a plate, pour on the brown butter, add a dollop of crème fraiche, fresh berries, and garnish with a few mint leaves. Drizzle with warm syrup and enjoy!